Saturday, April 04, 2020

Dear ones,

Quiet, so quiet. I live under a flight pattern from Boeing field but the only planes in the sky are little four seaters. No big rumbly cargo planes or passenger jets.

The yard is bursting with beauty; tulips, daffs, magnolia trees, purple ground cover. I've planted peas, beans, lettuce and spinach.

Still making cloth masks until I run out of fabric. I guess Joanne's fabric is doing a bang-up online business right now. A friend is making 300 masks for a nursing home near here. I don't have the capacity to make that many. I can get through 2-3 a day.

I made cookies yesterday that were just disgusting. I'll eat them anyway. The last cookie batch were peanut butter cookies which I mistakenly made with almond butter. Oops. No wonder they didn't taste like peanut butter.

My sister has stopped working and I'm so grateful. She's in her 60's and an RN in a nursing home in upstate NY. She called scared and I encouraged her to quit. We talked about feeling selfish and guilty, leaving our jobs in healthcare. I reminded her that staying healthy ourselves would keep us from becoming patients in a system that is vastly overwhelmed, or about to be. She lives in a very rural place with few resources and there have been a few cases already. It's an impossible call. So far, I am doing what I can do from home for my clinic and so far they are ok. Had a baby last night. I'm doing virtual visits and admin stuff and sewing masks. And participating in chart review.

I don't know where we are today with social distancing and 'flattening the curve'. It's the daily 'fireside chat' with our governor. So grateful for our governor.

May we all be healthy and safe and know we are each beloved.

3 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

You are beloved. You are doing your part and more.

Sabine said...

Yes, quiet. I wake in the morning and all I can hear is birds and quiet. It feels good and for a moment, I think that something good will come out of this for us.

My life so far said...

I think all of us feel scared and selfish as well. We're healthy while others are dying. Stay healthy and safe.