Wednesday, August 01, 2018

Been away from this here too long. A lotta family time and retreats and so forth. Went to Alaska with my brother and sister. They caught halibut, I didn't. And there were NO SALMON because of, you know. Here in Puget Sound an Orca mother has been mourning the death of her calf. The whales need the fish, the bears need the fish...I visited SE Alaska 25 years ago and the fish were so thick in the streams, you could walk across them to the other side.

In California, the fires are out of control. Smoky air here, too thick to stay in Ashland where I had planned to camp.

I am in despair, y'all.

Our beautiful suffering Earth.

It has been blazing hot here. Brown grass and dying trees.

How are all of you?

The babies are still being born.

I made 24 jars of wild blackberry jam in the last few days. My fingers are currently purple. 

Blackberries will make you suffer. Their thorns are wicked. I only shed a little blood this year. I insist on picking berries in short sleeves and flip-flops. 

About to go to BC, Nanaimo to be exact. Gotta take a ferry there and I agreed to pick up two guys to take to the retreat with me. Is it important to be on retreat in these troubled times?? I'm questioning everything. 

If we can't get rid of the awful occupant of the White House, please disable him in November. From our lips to g-d's ear. K? I don't mean put him in a wheelchair or something. Just render him harmless. Foolish destructive horrid man. 

May we find peace and justice for all beings, everywhere. 

7 comments:

am said...

Good to hear from you and to see you and the newborn. To see the words, "Just render him harmless." There is mysterious power in human kindness. Thank you!

Ms. Moon said...

You are beautiful, Beth. Inside and out. Your light shines forth.

Radish King said...

Beth, I canned 15 jars of marionberry jam last night. It’s so good to see your face. I love you. Light rain and cool on the island today. I want to see you.
Love
Rebecca

Deb said...

you look vibrant and well. makes me happy.

Sabine said...

Oh Beth, there isn't a day when I don't share your despair and I feel that heavy burden of what we are passing on to our children and grandchildren - which will be harder with every year.

As for the Orca whale: These amazing animals have been known to do this when confronted with the death of a family member. Same as with dolphins and other large mammals like elephants. Complex emotions are not restricted to humans. We just never notice.

37paddington said...

Amen.

Elizabeth said...

Sending you love. And this poem. There's still art. https://www.cascadiamagazine.org/poetry/elegy-for-tahlequahs-calf/