Saturday, April 16, 2022

 Still unseasonably cold here but the flowers persist. I haven't seen any hummingbirds at all. Wonder where they are. 

Going to work in the greenbelt this morning. We'll be clearing blackberries and ivy. There's a downed tree over the trail, don't know how that will be resolved. There's an abandoned (I think) homeless encampment too so that will be an issue. I walk through the greenbelt all the time so it's time to give back.

Been very busy with clinic. One of the midwives got sick so I stepped in, went to a birth, have done a bunch of home visits and worked an extra day of clinic. It's fun to be with my clinic 'family.' I don't know any other folks who are so funny and cynical and caring, all at the same time. I am reminded that I spend so much time in silence, being in a noisy clinic full of yelling kids  and pregnant women is quite an adjustment. I'm also reminded that the midwives and the office manager are my friends. I care about them and their lives. 

The kaffer lily is blooming, always does around Easter time. As I write this, I looked up the definition of 'kaffir' and found that it is an 'extremely offensive word for a Black South African.' Great. Well, let's give it a new name, k? Any suggestions? 


It has a nice fragrance. BTW, I've had this plant since 1976. Got it as a wedding present.

3 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

How about a Sunrise Lily?
An African Sunrise Lily?
You are such a good woman. I am sure that your office and your clients love it when you come back for a little while.

Elizabeth said...

That looks like clivia. They bloom once a year in shady spots. And mine has been alive for over twenty years, crowded in a pot that is never tended to.

Sabine said...

We know this plant as clivia, some people call it South African or bush lily.