Wednesday, April 27, 2022

Dear friends-

While at the pool today, I hopped into the water just before the swimmer in the other lane got to the wall. Thinking that she was swimming slowly, I'd have time to get ahead of her (always a jostle in the pool with multiple swimmers in a lane). Well, she zoomed by me in the water in time to yell at me at the other end of the lane. I was 'very rude', cutting in front of her. I apologized profusely but she harrumphed off. So I spend the next 20 minutes feeling like a shithead, I mean, how could I be so thoughtless etc. I waited to be sure she'd be gone from the locker room and I got into the hot tub when my fav life guard came over and told me he saw everything. I did nothing wrong. He almost spoke to her but didn't want to rile things up. 

Whew! Tempest in a teapot! 

I think we don't know how to be around people anymore. I surely don't. My feelings are so easily hurt. As my parents always said, I'm too sensitive (whatever that means). 

Anyway, spring here is cold, wet and beautiful. I've planted a tree peony and more azaleas. The apple trees are covered with blossoms and the dogwood is blooming too. I saw one of the cold water swimmers at the pool and she swims year round. She says the water is getting close to being 50 degrees. People, that's too effing cold. 


 My brother rescuing ducklings from a storm drain in Peasant Hills California. He says the mother duck was walking round and round with her 2 babies and when he looked in, there were about 10 ducklings trapped. He moved the grate and plucked them out. My brother the hero. Our father would have done the same thing. 

Haven't seen any babies yet at the lake but two of my three birdhouses have tenants. Chickadees. 

Love to you all. 

5 comments:

am said...

Tree peonies are sublime! There is a Canada goose sitting in a nest that is visible from the trail I can see from my porch. Love the story of your brother and the rescued ducklings. The blue sky with huge white clouds was beautiful today. I'm wondering if you had the same sky in Seattle.

Ms. Moon said...

I can completely understand how upsetting that must have been. And how funny too- calling you, the most thoughtful person she'd ever meet, RUDE! Ha.

Sabine said...

The world is a weird place. I had a similar incident not in a pool but on the bicycle faced with a mother in a car rushing to pick up her child. We both stopped and stared at each other for a second. Some days, I think all I have to offer is withdrawal.

beth coyote said...

AM-yes, what a beautiful day we had.

And Sabine-indeed, saying nothing is often for the best. Sheesh.

Elizabeth said...

I finally joined the Y and will hopefully begin swimming again next week. I am reading a novel by Julie Otsuka called "Swimming: A Novel." You must read it.