Wednesday, February 16, 2022

 

Dear friends-

My brother Dirk called on Valentine's Day to tell me Dave had died. He was our older brother, the first to get out and go far away. My parents told him his biological mother was dead. He was 5 years old. When he became an adult, he found out that had been a lie and he searched and found her in Florida. They had an adult relationship until she passed away. 

Who does that sort of thing?

There is so much more I could say about his young life but I won't. It was hard. He was treated with much cruelty. I adored him. He was in high school and I thought he was an Adonis. I'm sure he was, now that I think about it. 

He was in a memory care facility. For the past year and a half, he no longer recognized his wife of 57 years. She sounded relieved. She said he had been a good father and a good husband, a good provider. 

We all knew he hated our parents, probably until he died. Maybe he was able to let it all go so he could go too. 

I hope he is free now from his pain and suffering. He had love, he had joy. He built a life in spite of the cruelty he endured. 

Bless you Dave,

Love, 

Beth

8 comments:

Radish King said...

I’m so sorry darling Beth.

Ms. Moon said...

May he be free.
I am loving you.

am said...

"He had love, he had joy. He built a life in spite of the cruelty he endured."

Bless Dave. Bless you, Beth.

37paddington said...

I am so sorry for your loss, for your brother's pain in a life in which he still managed to build and sustain love. May he fly free.

beth coyote said...

Thank you everyone. Clark sang a mourning song in Portueguese for Dave. I wish I could figure out how to post it.

Sabine said...

So very sorry to read this, I am sure he is in a good place now.

Linda Sue said...

I am sorry your dear brother had a rough go in his younger days. That is just so sad. Sorry he suffered . Sorry you have had to say goodbye. A mouning song is such a great thing to lift his spirit comfortably on to the next great adventure. Love to you.

Elizabeth said...

I'm so sorry, Beth. I will light a candle for you and for Dave and for all those who loved him and all those he loved.