Sunday, January 17, 2021

Dear friends-

I've been off on a (virtual) women's retreat with two of my favorite teachers. There were about 40 of us, sitting and walking, chanting and being silent. And no internet or cell phone. I allowed myself a chance to read and so I finished the John Lewis biography. What a splendid and beautiful man he was. The book "Walking with the Wind" is thick. His life was long and eventful. He moved us along. He loved us and this country. And non-violence was his light. 

I've just made a lasagna. Because I live alone, I don't get to cook epic dishes like I used to when I had children at home and there wasn't a pandemic. My friends down the road have agreed to let me cook for them sometimes and I'm delighted. So far we've enjoyed squash soup, miso soup with ginger, flourless peanut butter cookies and a loaf of bread. When this hefty thang comes out of the oven, I will ferry most of it over to them. They're gonna give me some curry although Deanna admits they don't cook much. I am eyeing an olive oil cake recipe that sounds great. 

It's been gray and overcast for days. We've had enormous rainfall too and last week a storm blew through here with 50-60 mile an hour winds. I woke up to a loud bang !, a big flash of light and driving rain pounding on the windows. Many folks lost power and there were lots of downed trees all over the city. And for some inexplicable reason, my mattress warmer turned itself on...maybe it got scared?


These are, unfortunately, only part of my next knitting project. Uh-oh. I should probably stick to hats. 

The 20th is upon us. 

2 comments:

am said...

Welcome home! Have put "Walking with the Wind" on hold at our public library. We are at a turning point once again. Strength to love.

Ms. Moon said...

How beautiful to have someone to cook for.

I can't even knit a hat.