Friday, March 06, 2020

Currently reading Brian Doyle's book of essays, "One Long River of Song". Encountered him in The Sun.

https://www.eurekastreet.com.au/article/article.aspx?aeid=45566#.WS0BVxN95E4

This is one essay. Mostly you'll find his poems on the internet. But his essays are wondrous.

He's a Catholic and I don't even mind. In fact, I rarely care what people call themselves anymore. Including myself. Am I a lesbian? Does it matter? I know it matters in terms of civil rights that we are seen as disabled or a color or race, or gender identity or homeless or what have you. In all the ways we have or don't have access or privilege or voting rights or the ear of the powerful. What I mean is that I'm more interested in connections others allow me to make, to swim through the differences to our common joys and sorrow, our yearning to be happy and free.

And Brian Doyle could be Jesus or Buddha or Mohammed or Mother Teresa. And so could you and I.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Oh yes, to "Death and Peach Pies."

deadhead76 said...

He was a truly wonderful writer and human being and I'm sure his death has left an enormous hole in the universe!