Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The heat has eased off, Ethel has produced another egg and I'm apparently not going to any births before I leave for vacation.

With their wings clipped, the chickens are content to scratch around in the dirt and throw it all over themselves. The sparrows are feeding another family of chicks in the eaves of my neighbor's house. In a few days, my family descends upon us and there will be noise and a mess and more noise and hugging and talking. And a boy who is getting bigger and bigger each time I see him.

We're going to eastern Washington, which, for those of you who don't know, is high desert. This means that it's hotter than hell over there with dry sweet air. The Columbia River gorge is a most splendid sight and the river is huge and wide. Eastern Washington has rattlesnakes and sage brush and orchards and vineyards. So we're going to Lake Chelan, a clear cold lake with many campsites. We'll put up some shade and a camp kitchen and hang out with the many kids. I intend to spend a lot of time immersed in the lake water if it's 100 degrees, which it probably will be.

I'm bringing books and music. And one of those folding camp chairs with a cup holder. I don't even know if there is a shower so we may come back very dirty.

When I was a child, I went to Camp Talooli on Lake Temalo, really a large pond. There was no hot water so when we bathed, we soaped up and jumped in the lake to wash off.

The first time I saw the northern lights was there early in the morning.

2 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

Sounds rather divine, although yes, hot. But that will make the lake even more exquisite.

Ellena said...

WOW for the lights.
May your vacation be filled with
laughter, love and peaceful thoughts.