Friday, December 26, 2008

I made it to San Rafael via an Amtrak experience that took 6 1/2 hours to get to Portland from Seattle ( when the train is going backward, you do not get to your destination very fast) and then a 12 hour car ride over the river and through the woods, etc.

Now I am listening to Jesus Christ Superstar coming from my grandson's bedroom and I am a bit worried. He's 6 and JCSS was his choice. It is the music he chose to go to sleep to...Um, well, I like Handel's Messiah so I can sing out loud in the car with a harpsicord, timpani and soloists who I sound better than. JCSS coming from Milo's bedroom sounds like zombies or car mechanics when they tell you it's going to cost at least a thousand five.

There is sun here and no snow. Seattle had more snow than was really necessary. On the morning of the 24th, I was watching MORE EFFING SNOW falling on my deck and I got all weepy and sorry for myself. I called my daughter and told her I wasn't coming, I told J not to expect me and I was going to spend Xmas by myself, wha, wha, wha. My daughter's b'day is the 25th. But the weather demons decided to send a bit of melt and my neighbor took pity on me and drove me to the train station and, well, you know the rest.

G-d rest ye merry gentlemen and so forth. Being vegan this time of year is challenging. I've been cheating a little. Because of chocolate. And because I have very little willpower.

We got a piece of plywood and we put the train tracks together and we hooked up the power thingy and we made the train go. We were brilliant. Milo wore his engineer's hat and he lay on the floor and watched the train go around and around. The engine even has a little light. So cool.

No comments: