Monday, May 01, 2023

Darlings-

I dropped off the car at the collision place and went to the rental place and they gave me a 2023 Audi which is undoubtedly the fanciest car I have ever driven. The dash is like the cockpit of a plane. with flashing lights and warning signs and beeping noises. And a heated steering wheel. What??? And an automatic sunroof and headlights that automatically adjust when it gets dark. 

Honestly. Oh and a keyless ignition. 

But here we will stop and contemplate the sound system. It is the most splendid kind of thing ever. I called Clark because we need to do a road trip just to play tunes along the way. Great bass and boomy and loud. 

BTW, I told the nice young man he really shouldn't let me leave the lot in such a nice car. He looked at me kindly, like the young people do, and told me I'd be fine. 

So far, I am. 

I did leave the sun roof open last night. Oops. 

This just might be a meditation on the vagaries of the capitalist system that continues to entice us with bigger better more and more. Heck, I learned to drive in my mother's Valiant with the slant 6 and the 3 on the tree and a radio. I still could drive that thing even today. 

Horses got us there, maybe more slowly, but they left fertilizer behind.

1 comment:

Ms. Moon said...

I learned to drive on a 1960 VW Beetle that was such a basic model that the passenger's seat had no visor to pull down and there was no gas gauge- just a little thing on the floorboard by the gas and brake and clutch which you flipped over for an auxiliary boost of fuel to get you to the station if you ran out. And here we are with these cockpits and ten-inch thick owner's manuals.
It's amazing we can drive in them at all.
Enjoy your sound system while you have it!