Thursday, March 17, 2022

 Dear friends-

I am now functioning after my first week of chaplaincy training and boy howdy. It was so intense to be in that container (as they say) for 5 days. Partly I was having trouble keeping up with note taking and the language. My practice is Vipassana and the training is coming from Soto Zen with all sorts of other things thrown in (systems theory anyone?) So to say I was running in place would be putting it mildly. Well they warned us. By language I mean the expressions and buzz words which weren't familiar to me. Kinda like learning a new language where I have some understanding and can make the mental leaps. I was so tired each night...

I have already let go of a few commitments. I just won't have the time. Plus I have papers to write. I'm sitting here procrastinating because I partially wrote one paper yesterday and need to finish it before tomorrow night when I go back into retreat for the weekend. 

Roshi Joan Halifax is remarkable and wise and tough and loving. Even though she's in her early 80's, she was present for most of the classes and she taught a few of them. 

Now I have to figure out how to use Slack, an online platform for groups (ug) and record all my various meetings, classes, book reviews, etc etc for the year. I bought a paper year calendar that is folded up on my desk because using the calendar in my phone just isn't useful. If I survive this year, there's another year and a big paper to write. My Dharma teacher and friend reminded me to stay in the moment and don't future trip. Sorry, can't help it. 

BTW-ever notice how some words we use came right from the hippies and the 60's? Tripping and freaking out, for example. 

Also BTW-I finished Michael Pollan's latest book, Your Mind on Plants and I wrote him a little email thanking him for his work and his obvious concern for the earth and us. And he wrote back!! How cool (60's reference or maybe the beats/jazz?) is that???

Love you all forever.

3 comments:

am said...

Sending love to you as you go forward with the chaplaincy program.

I've just found the Upaya Institute and Zen Center website and read Roshi Joan Halifax's blog post,"Ukraine in the Heart." Until today, I hadn't realized that she is one of your teachers. What a profound adventure the next two years will be for you and your fellow chaplain program students.

Ms. Moon said...

Michael Pollan is amazing and I love his books and his mind.
And I love you! "Don't future trip." Good advice then. Good advice now. Will I ever take it? I doubt it.

Elizabeth said...

As I read your update, I felt grateful that I was not doing what you're doing! Honestly, I am so filled with admiration for your path, and I can't imagine what you'll continue to bring to the world after this. Roshi Joan Halifax! Wow!