Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Dear ones,

This very day I was born 70 years ago. Many people have celebrated this occasion with me but today, mid-week, was pretty quiet. I meditated, walked the dog, swam, went to a French film and wrote an email to my newly discovered half sister.

WHAT????

Two days ago,  my younger child called to tell me that her cousin Deirdre in Belgrade had been contacted by a 72 yo woman who found her from Ancestry.com. She was born in 1948 and adopted out at birth. She's got a child and grandchildren. Eden is already on Facebook with her new cousin.

To say I'm shocked is an understatement. Just doing the math...Dad was married before my mother and he had a son, my half brother, in 1945. He divorced that wife, met my mother and I was born in 1950. So somewhere in there he had a fling? an infidelity? who knows?? and this person showed up. We're speculating that he wasn't even aware that he had another kid.

We all knew Dad was a ladies man, In other words, he got around and had affairs when he was married to my mother. It was never talked about but we all knew. We all knew.

Anyway, her name is Lauren and I'll just wait to see if she responds.

When Eden called, she said, "Hey mom, you have a sister! Happy birthday!!!" hahahahahahahaha.

Jeezus.

5 comments:

am said...

That is certainly astonishing! You are the third person I know now who has discovered an unexpected half-sibling as a result of DNA testing.

Ms. Moon said...

You can't make this shit up.

37paddington said...

This is kind of wonderful. Though it makes me a little sad all the years you lost not knowing each other. Well, at least you might know each other now.

37paddington said...

Oh, and happy birthday!

Elizabeth said...

Holy shit.