Saturday, November 30, 2019

Last night some of us cooked and fed homeless teens. We do this four or five times a year. Kellie, with great generosity, brought the most beautiful king salmon pieces I think I've ever seen. Worth so much. And she marinated and cooked it. The kids ate three or four servings. As one boy left, he said, "That's the best fish I've  ever tasted!!"

I gave deep thanks for the salmon. Good protein and fish oils for those children who went out into 20 degree weather.

We also made veggie fritatta which they loved. And  mashed potatoes with mushroom gravy.

I love this team so much. Tina and Chris come every time. Then there's the wandering band who  volunteer, changes  with the season.

Tiger Mountain today. And yes, there is a tent city at the end of this road.


6 comments:

am said...

Yes. Deep thanks.

Ms. Moon said...

Yes. "...only now it's in pieces."
Exactly.
How lovely it is for you and others to make a dinner for the kids. What kind of parent in this world would allow their teenaged child to be on the streets? I should not be so judgmental. Sometimes I am certain that it is not the parent's fault but I know that so often kids are kicked out of their homes for things that are just human nature. I feel especially deeply for the children who are gay or bisexual or trans whose parents cannot accept that. But honestly- how can you love your child and hate who they truly are so much that you could endanger their lives by forcing them onto the streets? And how can you not love that child enough that you can't love who they are?
It's a mystery to me and I don't understand it.
Well. Thank you for showing those kids some warm and nurturing and nutritious and delicious love. Someone needs to.

Sabine said...

A hard world we live in. Thank you for what you did.

beth coyote said...

Dear women-

It always feels like we are giving to each other, the children and us. Giving and receiving, back and forth.

Mary, as someone who was tossed out when I was 18, I too can't understand how parents can do what they do. But they do, and dsiproportionately, the children are queer kids. I admire their grit and their ability to survive...as I did.

My life so far said...

I kicked my son out of our home two months before he turned 18 and this got me to thinking about it. He was using drugs, refused to go to school or work and I didn't know what to do. I still regret it but I didn't know what else to do. Nothing got through to him and I had two other children to protect. If I had it to do over I would do things differently.

beth coyote said...

Oh honey-

Such a tough place for you. I don't know what I would do in your situation. How heartbreaking.