Sunday, October 30, 2011

It's a day a melancholy day with silky warm air leaves and rot and pumpkins already falling in on themselves the wild buzzing always in my head it's tinnitus it's ghosts it's Thanksgiving when my brother couldn't wouldn't survive another year day minute breathing so he. stopped. breathing. all by himself I'm in the shed under the beeches in Pennsylvania their luminous bark not enough light for him to stay awhile longer I'm sitting with him the rakes and empty paint cans his witness to the rope that finally didn't let him down let him down too late every year he takes a place at the table where the empty plate sits he's the end of each sentence he's the spaces between the words he's the music we no longer can hear.

7 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

I hate Sundays. I am sorry about your brother.

Radish King said...

Oh sweetheart it never gets less does it.
love,
Rebecca

beth coyote said...

XOXOXO for you both.

Laura Gamache said...

Oh, Beth.. much love to you!
xoxo

Marylinn Kelly said...

I should have been warned by the header photo. I am so sorry. His being the music you no longer hear, I cannot read without crying. xo

nnygrl said...

Sometimes I see Geoff in my sleep moving further and further away. xx Annie

beth coyote said...

Dear Laura and Marylinn- XO

Annie- You know and I know. X yr sis