Sunday, February 06, 2011

My daughter was here for a few days so I could help her buy a car. She's my whirlwind daughter-taking over the kitchen, opening all precious jellies and artichoke hearts and throwing things away past their sell-by dates. Sheesh. And then she cooks up a storm.

Raw kale salad:

2 bunches kale, stem removed and cut into bite sides pieces

Marinade
1/2 lemon juice and/or orange juice
2 TBS apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp corinader
2 cloves garlic, crushed very fine or through a garlic press
a bit of agave
salt
olive oil

mix all together and taste, adjust. Toss with kale. Oh yum.

Oh, the car buying business. Gawd. We put down $$ on one car and then tried another, way across town. She was set on a VW and she test drove one, liked it, sped through a residential area and thought that was it. Then she drove an older Acura. Ha! As she sagely observed" Mom, the Jetta is shite." I agreed so we went for a 2000 Acura with heated seats, electric everything, and I mean everything. A sun roof that opens and closes. Seats that move around on their own. Way more fancy than my car and less money. The miles were OK and the tires were not down to the rims.

She drove off this afternoon with her girlfriend and I fell into a funk. It will never be different. No matter how much or how little I help her, there will always be the feeling, the yearning to do more... I even made her go to the tire store this morning to be sure the tires were alright. No late night calls that they're stuck somewhere in Oregon with two flats.


2 comments:

Apple said...

That's one lucky broad (both of you).

beth coyote said...

Thanks, April dearest. Now she'll have to take care of me when I'm decrepit.