Wednesday, December 22, 2010

My neighbor gave me her annual plateful of cookies. And I went over with a bottle of local port because no grape jelly this year. None. The grapes were small and sour and nasty because we had no summer at all. A tragedy. Didn't stop the raccoons.

My clerk at the pet store where I buy very expensive cat food told me why cats bring in dead, dying or still kicking creatures, mostly smaller and mostly with feathers. Are you ready for this? Apparently, they are trying to teach us how to kill. They never see us drag in a dead deer so how can we possibly know how to procure food. We can open cans and shake out bags of kibble into their bowls. But we are woefully inadequate in the killing department. So they're showing us how, like they show their kittens.

Aw, wasn't that heartwarming?

7 comments:

Sabine said...

Well my vet told me that cats bring these trophies to their humans as signs of affection. So there.

beth coyote said...

So heartwarming, isn't it?

Brenda said...

Awww. How... nice

of

them....

Apple said...

My Bill is so lost and it makes me feel a little guilty. I'm afraid I'd have to bring in a rat between my teeth to show him the way. I mean, should I? Tell me!

Radish King said...

Merry Christmas my friend and thank you for making this year so warm.
love,
Rebecca

beth coyote said...

April dear-a rat would help. Or a bird or a headless squirrel. Cats are so particular. Lola even brings in worms, all she can 'catch' apparently.

beth coyote said...

And R,

XXXX to you too