Thursday, February 07, 2008

tomorrow I leave for a week long retreat, no phone, no laptop, no reading, just sitting, walking and going to bed early. In the woods, with oatmeal. But today I took my first yoga class in, oh, 20 years. Oh my gawd. I was there at 8Am with a borrowed mat made of some weird rubber stuff. The teacher strode in, all ropey muscles and white teeth and WHAM, we were twisting and hauling our legs over our head and building our 'core' and making whistling noises when we in and ex-haled. I was dripping with sweat and my hands kept sliding forward because they were WET. I wasn't sure I was going to make it. At one point, I thought I might just tip over and land with a crash but with a supreme effort of will, I stayed aloft. I signed up for a month because I am nuts. I have to do something about my back so if this doesn't kill me, it might work. I actually went for a walk later and thought I would have to call a cab half way through. I'm going to bed now, I'm exhausted.

3 comments:

turdpress said...

I always feel like I'm going to die in the middle of a yoga class.

I could never handle it expertly.

My core is m.i.a.

Anonymous said...

Such a high price for serenity...

beth coyote said...

I always thought a core was inside an apple and you threw it away..imagine my surprise!