Friday, April 16, 2010

Eye exam today. I never know if I'm lying when they ask "1 or 2, which is clearer?" when they're flipping the lens around. I like to think about it, ponder it, ask existential questions. What is the meaning of clearer? How do I know? Why does one eye behave differently than the other? What is the importance of the "dominant side"? And this is after they've put the drops in so you look like you're on acid. Then they give you those geriatric sunglass things. And they expect you to drive yourself home. Wearing large foldy dark glasses with your pupils dilated to the size of saucers.

I only drive into a ditch once.

2 comments:

Valerie Loveland said...

Ha, I work at an eye Doctor's office. I also worry when I am picking what looks clearer. Especially since I am obsessed with having clear vision.

Last time I had a refraction I was complaining because (with my glasses) I could "only" see 20/15 and was hoping the Doctor could give me a better Rx.

beth coyote said...

My new glasses are round and I think they will make me look smarter. I don't know about clearer vision. I didn't wear glasses for a month while I was on retreat. Nothing to read. It was heavenly.