Sunday, December 14, 2008

I walked for hours today in the snow. Mount Baker was really clear and the woods in Seward Park made me think of the Northeast. Down parka man was ahead of me on the trail with his backpack. He doesn't like to be talked to or approached. He walks around the park all the time, wearing a lot of clothes. I wonder where in the park he has found to sleep. The top of the park is crisscrossed with trails, a lot of them not used much. I have tried to talk to him before but he growls at me. I stayed behind him and then we went in different directions. Seward Park is one of my favorite places because I can leave the perimeter and be in the woods. I saw a juvenile eagle land in a tree just as I got to the edge of the water. There are nesting eagles in the summer and owls and cormorants drying their wings.

Ecuador has extended constitutional rights to nature. They referred to Pachamama, a mother universe deity. Whoa. Does this mean we must stop mowing our lawns? (grass abuse?) Will we have to stop cooking plant food? I'm baking a yam right now. People for the Ethical Treatment of Carrots. Oh-oh.

I might just have to watch all six hours of Angels in America tonight. I hear my pager. Maybe not.

4 comments:

Radish King said...

I love that photo. Nicklesville.

beth coyote said...

Lest we forget.

Apple said...

I thought of you when I popped Mamma Mia in tonight. I did that horrible smiling at the television thing throughout the entire movie.

beth coyote said...

April-I know, it's embarrassing, isn't it? Its just so damn perky.