Saturday, March 23, 2019

Just home from an afternoon performance of Romeo and Juliet with a Deaf Romeo and Friar. They had other actors 'speak' while the Deaf actors signed. Clever and moving.

And it was beautiful and I blubbered all the way through the second half.

Gawd.

Shakespeare is so wonderful to listen to. 'What light through yonder window breaks? It is the east and Juliet is the sun.' I chose to ignore the fact that their romance was about 24 hours long and she was 14. At least he was underage too.

2 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

Well, if your life span was predicted to be about forty years, fourteen was plenty old enough to get busy with the family-making! Romeo and Juliet is probably the greatest romance story ever. I bet if I watched the old Franco Zeffirelli movie version I would weep throughout the entire thing.

Elizabeth said...

I love that you wept through -- it's really so beautiful and along with Othello and King Lear, really the only Shakespeare that I love.