Thursday, March 21, 2019

Got the newest copy of The Sun today. The editors have made a real effort to diversify the magazine by publishing writers of color and including photos of POC. One article is a photo essay of homeless folk living in California.

I saw a few of my favorite homeless people today. It has been sunny and warm the last few days and I've been thinking about them enjoying the warmth after all the really cold days we have had here. Seattle is growing at such a clip, apparently the mayor and the city counsel has approved a 26 story apartment building in a neighborhood near my house. At least it will have affordable units.

Every time I hand a homeless friend a dollar, I am reminded that we are the same. We want to be safe and well fed and loved. We want to be sheltered. We want to be seen in all our beauty and complexity.

Tomorrow I go visit a new baby. I delivered their last baby and I was their wedding officiant. Just part of the family...

Sometimes I am astonished by my good fortune.

In a few days, this wonderful child of mine will be 44 (!) My home born baby girl.

2 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

Homeborn. I love that. I met a darling very pregnant young woman at the party I was at last weekend and I did my best to keep myself from cradling her firm belly and getting all up in her business about how she was planning on having her child. Turns out she has a midwife and is planning a homebirth. And by the end of the weekend when I told her good-bye and wished her much luck and a sweet and safe birth, I did give that belly a little rub. She and Jessie got to have some good talks and I was glad of that.
Your daughter is beautiful. My oldest child will be forty-three in June. How did this happen Beth? When did we become crone mothers?
I love you.

Sabine said...

Homeborn, yes!
My homeborn girl tried very hard to have her baby at home, alas, no luck despite valiant efforts by all around. It's what it is.

You are both radiant women, what a lovely picture!