Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Today

Dears-It's my 69th birthday.

And guidance is interesting. In my working life, I've been a guide for families as they welcome their newest members. It's so hard being a parent! Nothing can prepare us for the rigors, the anxiety, the fierce love that is pulled, sometimes wrenched from us. And the long arc of parenthood falling into grandparenthood for some of us. The leaning back into received wisdom, the eye to what is and what isn't important after all. Love and acceptance, showing up, telling the truth to the next generation. I have spoken to my grandson in ways I would never have to my children. I am less attached to being liked by him. I am interested in being an anchor, if he needs one, because I am trustworthy and I love him, no matter what.

But today, as I consider my own mortality and the mortality of all I love, including everything, I am reminded of the 5 Remembrances: Old age, sickness, death, ceaseless change and the fact that all we 'own' are our actions. How do we conduct ourselves in old age. What does it mean to be old. This old face and body, the encoded reason for the death of this body, these cells. Unknowable right now but there, the dark angel awaits us all.

A brilliant morning in Seattle, clear blue sky with sun and birds. A bit of Mozart. Tea. The dog always game for whatever comes along. I think a walk in Discovery Park, a huge waterfront park with lighthouse and numerous trails. We can easily spend a few hours there.

I am listening for the voices of my dead parents, some guidance for old age. I remember my mother sitting on the couch knitting a yellow sweater which I never saw her wear. I remember thinking she might be making it for me (no). Each time I saw her, she looked smaller and older. It was always a shock. When you see someone occasionally, the changes are dramatic. I think that was the generation that never talked about real things: menstruation, sex, childbirth, aging, menopause. I learned it on my own. And decided to talk to my children about all of it.

What does it mean to be old, to get old? My desk holds a few photos of dear ones who have died. Gone before...I have time I haven't had before. Just being off call now is amazing. I just...noticed that I was no longer on the call schedule. What a relief. And is there some diminishment there? Some feeling that I'm no longer needed as I was. How egotistical. I've alway maintained that we midwives are interchangeable although our families remember just who was there and give that person special attention. We want to be special to someone.

I know I'm rambling here. Still putting it down and it is mysterious to me. We are exhorted to rest and relax, go on vacations, put our feet up, etc when we are old. But why? If our bodies and brains still work, why go into that kind of slumber? I sit and watch the young midwifery students conduct prenatal visits and they have heads chock full of facts and figures. I step in where there is a problem; a mother is depressed or angry, a family is in distress for some reason. I am less interested in the check list and more interested in the interplay, the mystery of connection and love.

And maybe that is a gift of the old. It's what we learn and study throughout our lives. A distillation of the ten thousand joys and sorrows. The deepest kind of compassion and equanimity.

Where there is love, there is life.
                                                   - Gandhi


8 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

So, so, SO beautiful, you beautiful woman! You sixty-nine year old sage femme. Happy birthday.
Dammit, I am actually crying right now. This is just such an amazing post. It could be a writing prompt for fifty essays. It could be the starting point for a million conversations. It could be the inspiration for all of the best sermons. It is what my heart thinks of too.
I have a very good long-time friend and every Friday we email each other. Last Friday I wrote to him that I have been thinking about death recently. Not in a morbid way or even a I-wonder-what-happens way but just in a manner that informs this life I'm living now.
And that is exactly what you've just written about, I think.
My friend, who has had a long-time sitting practice wrote me back and said, "I am glad you are thinking about death," and I loved him for that because he exactly understood what I meant.
And obviously, you do too even though we've never discussed this.
Oh Beth. I just love you. Happy birthday! I am baking a pie as we speak. I wish I could give it to you. Please know that you are special to me. And I know you must be special to so many others. But right now, I just want you to really know that you are so special...to...me.

am said...

May your coming year be filled with light. Happy 69th Birthday! We will be the same age until I turn 70 in October!

Although I have no children, I am grateful to have several generations of younger people in my daily life. I am surprised to find myself old enough to be a great-grandparent! It is startling to realize that we are the elders now. Beginning when I was around 40, I wanted to live in such a way that people younger than I was could see growing older as a positive experience. I saw bitter old people and didn't want to go that way, if at all possible.

It is startling to find that, despite being in good overall health, I will need hearing aids this years as well as a second cataract surgery, and that I have lost 1" in height despite years of yoga and walking and plenty of calcium. I want to accept these signs of aging with grace.

I am finding a place in my community where I can be of service to younger and older people. There is so much you can continue to bring to mothers and fathers and babies and in your circles of love. We have a place in our communities as long as we have the energy to show up. I am thinking of my friend who died last week. Until the last days of her life, she showed up with unconditional love, humor, and gratitude.

Thank you so much for your extended birthday meditation and the quote from Gandhi!

beth coyote said...

Thank you Mary and AM...

I know you know.

37paddington said...

Happy birthday. Thank you for this extraordinarily beautiful meditation on aging with grace. I needed your words.

Elizabeth said...

I look forward to being old. I am nearer than I was ten years ago, I suppose, but I don't fear it. Thank you for this moving meditation on doing it -- on getting old or growing old or growing. Always growing.

Sabine said...

Happy birthday! You continue to amaze and inspire me.

The mother hunger never ends. To be a grandmother is an organic development of our experience of being a daughter and a mother.

Mary, my midwife was 69 years old at the time of me giving birth. She had retired from being a community midwife/health nurse in rural Ireland and was helping her husband with the farm but was a bit bored, so she told us, when we asked her whether she would agree to be there for a home birth. We found her by word of mouth.
She charged a small fee for the birth but continued to visit me for four weeks, almost daily, unasked, bearing supplies of rich Jersey cow milk and other farm produce. Her husband always stayed in the car, he was too shy, and his boots not too clean, she said when we asked him in.
I don't know how many babies she delivered at home after retirement but there were a good few. She lived to 102.

My life so far said...

Happy birthday. I think the part I like most about aging is the experience I now have. I can look back and see things more clearly. I have been around the sun a few times and seen things that young people haven't had a chance to see yet. It gives a very interesting perspective to life.

Linda Sue said...

This post is so delicious. I am on the edge of elderly, shedding this mortal coil and all, and thinking about cleaning the basement so that no body else has to deal with it. BUT I think that 69 is not old yet! True for you especially, Your spirit/soul whatever is a constant 32, age of curiousness, light and wonder, and doing good things...You are 32
Happy Birthday! LOVE