Wednesday, September 20, 2017

This morning we had a baby boy after an exciting ambulance ride. O the firefighters and medics were so nice and gentlemanly in their black shoes and uniforms. And that momma was the hero of the story, pushing out a baby who was FACING US and his head wasn't tucked down but straight up-if you must know, she had to push extra hard to get him out and she did. She just did. The ordinary extraordinary women I am privileged to hang out with, it's astounding what we can do because we have to.

Then tonight I answered a call from a woman who is miscarrying the only baby she has ever conceived. She was crying and I was listening and comforting. Nothing to do except to grieve.

The great wheel of life. At the end of it all, I hope I can look back and see I did a good job, not a perfect job but a good job. A good enough job.


4 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

Women are unbelievably strong, aren't they? I am SO glad all came out well there. And so very, very sad for the woman who miscarried.
You have, Beth. You have done an amazing job. You do the work of the hero and the goddess.

Sabine said...

Your words always touch my heart. Yesterday I had a long conversation with a dear person who just found her midwife for her first baby. She was trying to find the right words to express how much this means to her and any woman really. There is something so special about that bond.

37paddington said...

i so relate to you because my son is one of those fire dept medics in the steel toed boots. the wheel of life is part of his daily experience. i find people like the two of you heroic. thank you.

am said...

Thank you for your stories showing again and again how we can be fully human with our joy and relief and our sorrow.
"Good enough" is a concept that continues to illuminate our lives and respect our efforts. I remember the first time I heard those words. They came with deep kindness and a gentle smile from a man who saw how critical I was of myself. Whenever I see or hear the words "good enough," I think of him with gratitude.