Tuesday, October 06, 2015

Another shooting at a school, this time in Oregon. Are we becoming inured to it?  We're helpless? Nothing will happen? Nothing will change? Gun laws won't change, can't change?

Reading Between the World and Me, by Ta-Nehisi Coates. He's coming to Town Hall here but already sold out. Astonishing book.

The Peace of Wild Things

BY WENDELL BERRY
When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.



4 comments:

Mel said...

Beth, these are crazy times, our world has gone mad. I worry myself sick. So thanks for the poem today. It helps, a little.

I just bought my son Between the World and Me and I'm so proud he wants to read books like that. I get it next and am really looking forward to it. His voice is unique. Have you seen the Atlantic video interview with him talking about the writing process? It's stunning.

Mel

Ms. Moon said...

That poem- that describes what saves me daily.
I somehow think I feel a bit of a change in the weather concerning gun laws right now. It is small, a mere breeze of energy to do something sensible and correct. May I be right.

Colette said...

The poem and the photo were just what I needed this morning. Many thanks.

Elizabeth said...

I'm supposed to hear Ta on Monday night -- looking forward to it.